Have you ever been in the middle of cooking dinner and suddenly realized you don't have enough counter space to finish? Homeowners finding themselves in this situation might prefer putting extra shelves over the stove. Is it really suitable to add a shelf above a stove? See our compiled research below.
You can put a shelf above your stove to create more storage space. This is a great option for extra pots and pans, baking dishes, or anything else that you need to keep close at hand while you're cooking. But, if you're thinking about adding a shelf above your stove, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- Materials of the shelf
- Distance between the stove and the shelf
- Things to store on the shelf
Keep reading to learn the proper ways of adding shelves above your stove. Also, see different ideas on what to alternative add to your kitchen ranges.
Can You Put Shelves Above A Stove?
You can have built-in cabinets or pantries, or you can simply keep your cooking essentials on open shelves. For those who prefer a simpler approach, placing shelves above the stove can be an attractive and convenient storage option. But then, to do so successfully, there are some important considerations that must be taken into account.
1. Materials of the Shelf
The heat from the stove can cause problems for some materials, such as warp wood or melted plastic. As a general rule, anything that would be damaged by exposure to heat should not be used for shelves above a stove.
With that in mind, some good choices for shelf materials include granite, marble, glass, or metal. These materials can withstand exposure to heat without being damaged, making them ideal for this situation.
In addition, they are also easy to clean, which is important in an area where cooking is often taking place.
2. Distance between the stove and the shelf
The distance between the stove and the shelf is an important consideration when installing shelves above a stove. If the distance is too small, there is a risk of heat damage to the shelf. If the distance is too large, it can be difficult to reach items on the shelf.
The standard distance between a stove and an overhead shelf is 24 to 30 inches. This provides enough space to prevent heat damage while still allowing easy access to items on the shelf.
Besides that, the height of the shelf should be such that it is within easy reach for someone standing in front of the stove. This will ensure that it is both within easy reach and far enough away from the heat source to avoid any damage.
3. Things to store on the shelf
When deciding what to store on the shelves above your stove, you need to consider the following:
First, consider the weight of the items you'll be placing on the shelves. If they're too heavy, they could cause the shelves to sag or even collapse. For example, ensure that the shelves are mounted securely and are located at a height that is safe for carrying heavy pots and pans.
Second, think about the flammability of the items. If they're highly flammable, it's best to keep them away from the stove where they could come into contact with open flame.
Finally, consider what you'll be using the shelves for. If you need quick access to cooking supplies, then keeping them close at hand on the shelves above the stove is a good idea.
But if you're just looking for a place to store infrequently used kitchen items, then another location might be a better option. By taking these factors into account, you can help ensure that your kitchen stays safe and organized.
What Are The Pros And Cons Of Putting A Shelf Above A Stove In Your Kitchen Remodel Project?
Some homeowners choose to install a shelf above their stove during a kitchen remodel for a variety of reasons. But others prefer to have a full clearance on the area above the stove. To help you decide between the two, here are the pros and cons:
- One advantage is that it can provide additional storage space in the kitchen for items such as spices, cooking tools, or small items. This can be particularly helpful in smaller kitchens where counter space is limited.
- It can serve as a decorative element in the kitchen. Homeowners can use this space to display vases, cookbooks, or other decorative items.
- Shelves can also help to create the illusion of a larger kitchen by drawing the eye upward.
- Adding a shelf above the stove is a popular kitchen remodeling trend.
- A shelf can also help you to better organize your kitchen. By grouping similar items together, you can make it easier to find what you need when you need it.
- During the cooking process, steam and heat rise from the stove, and if the shelf is too close, these elements can cause the wood to warp or the paint to blister.
- If the shelf is too close to the stove, it may also be difficult to reach items that are stored on it. Installing a shelf above the stove can make it more difficult to clean the area. Grease, dust, and smoke from cooking can collect on the shelf, making it hard to keep clean.
- It can make it difficult to reach items on the shelf and dangerous for carrying heavy items.
Putting a shelf above the stove can be handy for storing frequently used items, but it's important to keep these potential drawbacks in mind before making a final decision.
How To Install Shelves Above The Stove?
Adding shelves above the stove is a great way to optimize kitchen storage and create an attractive style in the area. Here's how to install it:
- Determine the desired height of the shelves. Once you have measured and marked the wall, use a level to draw a horizontal line at the appropriate height.
- Next, use a stud finder to locate the studs in the wall. Mark the studs with a pencil so that you know where to place the shelf brackets.
- When you are ready to install the brackets, use a drill to make pilot holes at the marked locations.
- Use screws to secure the brackets in place. Once the brackets are in place, you can install the shelves by resting them on top of the brackets. Make sure that the shelves are level before adding any items.
With some careful planning and basic DIY skills, installing shelves above the stove is a relatively simple project that can make a big impact on your kitchen.
What Are Some Things You Can Store On A Shelf Above A Stove In Your Kitchen?
Tile backsplashes come in a wide variety of colors, patterns, and materials, so you can easily find an option that matches your personal style. In addition to being aesthetically pleasing, tile backsplashes are also easy to clean and maintain.
They are highly durable and resistant to heat, so you don't have to worry about them cracking or peeling. If you're looking for a way to add personality to your kitchen, even the area above your stove, a tile backsplash is a great option.
A great way to keep these items organized and out of the way is to invest in an above-the-stove pot rack. These handy storage devices mount directly above the cooking area and provide easy access to all your cooking tools.
Besides that, they come in a wide variety of styles and materials, so you can be sure to find one that matches the aesthetic of your kitchen.
Grease and smoke can build up on the surfaces above your stove. Not only is this unsightly, but it can also be difficult to clean. One way to help keep your kitchen clean is to install a range hood. Range hoods are designed to capture smoke and grease before it has a chance to settle on surfaces.
Most importantly, they help to improve air circulation in the kitchen, keeping the air fresh and free of odors. While range hoods come in a variety of styles, sizes, and colors, it is important to choose one that is powerful enough to effectively ventilate your kitchen.
S-hooks for utensils
If you're looking for a way to save space in your kitchen, consider using S-hooks to hang your utensils. This simple solution can help to free up drawer and cabinet space while keeping your cooking tools within easy reach. Plus, it's easy to grab the utensil you need when it's within easy reach.
A vented over-the-range microwave is an excellent option that you can install above your range in order to keep your kitchen clean and organized. These devices feature a streamlined design that saves space while still giving you convenient access to all of your favorite cooking and reheating options.
Also, vented microwaves are designed with flexible venting systems that allow hot air and steam to escape directly from the unit when it's in use.
While it is possible to put a shelf above a stove, doing so has some potential issues. Before you decide to install shelves over your cooking surface, be sure to weigh all of the pros and cons. After that, you can now start designing your kitchen and make the best out of its design.
For more ideas on keeping your place extra organized, see the following posts below: